Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Nerd Alert!!

I joined a Small Business Entrepreneurs group at Stanford and went to my first meeting (my intentions being making Nerdy Baby into a full-fledged non-profit that would bring science to very young children). One small detail: I'm a cube monkey, not a business woman. I am sloooowly learning what I need to do to get this business off the ground (in my 2 hours of spare time a week). However, I am SUPER excited about this new adventure.

My first meeting was on patents (blah), and trademark and copyrights (stuff I could use).  I came home from the meeting very motivated to make a decision I've been tossing around for a few weeks. I purchased a domain name to expand Nerdy Baby.  It is not NerdyBaby. I LOVE Nerdy Baby, but with what I want to do in the future (ie. "baby"), I think it's best to go with a new name, but keeping the "Nerdy".

With that said, I'll keep you anxiously awaiting. Currently the site re-directs you here (I know that much html thanks to this blog). When I'm ready to debut the new addition, you guys will be the first to see it!!


Now, to learn HTML - blah. It's on my to-do list (along with vacuuming, but hey, who's keeping tabs?).



P.S.  If you are a business/lawyer person, I'd be happy to take any advice you're willing to give me.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your progress!!! I took 2 HTML classes online through Foothill College that were VERY helpful. I learned a ton. It was pretty time consuming though. I was often up in the wee hours on the morning working on homework, and that was pre-child! My work paid for it because I was in charge of updating our website, but I don't think it was very expensive- less than $150 per class. It was all online with the option of going in to talk to the teacher for help if necessary. Something to think about anyway. It's a great skill. I just wish I could remember some of what I learned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn. I'm in charge of updating our lab website at work too. I'm hoping there will be some training opportunities soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First get the HTML, which'll probably only take you a day or two. Then try some PHP/MySQL - not too difficult and builds on HTML very nicely.

    ReplyDelete