A lady bug was happily sitting on a leaf of this bush. We watched it for a few minutes and talked about ladybugs (sorry the photo isn't great, I only had my cellphone with me).
Discussion Points (as much as we could fit in in the two minutes it had J's attention):
- Colors are red with black spots. Red is usually a nature warning sign for predators (what eats ladybugs) to stay away. It acts like a stop sign.
- They have wings (our ladybug even flew up a few branches for us).
- Ladybugs eat aphids, which are little bugs that eat leaves/plants. J got excited and stated that the silkworms in his class eat leaves too! However, ladybugs don't eat silkworms.
- Insects, like the ladybug, have 6 legs.
- The ladybug has 2 antenna, to which J gave himself antenna and pretended to be a ladybug.
Some fun ladybug sites:
J's quote: "I don't want to touch the ladybug. It'll sting me!"
Needless to say, we were just quiet observers of the ladybug.