WOW! I kept this up two years! I can't tell you how much fun we have as a family doing science.
My goal in 2011 was to blog once/week about science that is all around us (and not science through expensive kits). It's amazing what comes up when you have a curious kid! Basically everything can be related to science.
A look back, post from:
1 year ago
Where we are today:
- From April through October 2012, I held monthly gatherings, Science Saturdays in the Park, at no cost for local families. Each had turn-outs of 20-30 people. I halted for the holidays and until the weather warms up a little more since I am a wuss when it comes to "cold" weather.
- I volunteered in a few preschools, bringing science to little kids. Their smiles and giggles are the best!
- The blog was featured in NBC Universal's parenting website, ivillage, for fun activities to do with young kids. They initially contacted me regarding the sail cars, but they ended up highlighting the balloon racers we did at our first science in the park day.
- I worked with a friend to get a super cute, official logo for Nerdy Science.
- I still work as a Research Engineer in the biomedical engineering field. I enjoy research.
- Point above is part of the reason I have yet to make the official website live. The blog is easy to do with little time and html experience.
Where I want to be a year from now:
- I want to be still blogging weekly about the wonderful scientific world around us.
- I want to continue Science Saturdays in the Park, hopefully starting back in February or March.
- As J grows, I want to establish worksheets, puzzles, and games that keep his mind active and help him learn new science and math concepts. These would be shared with my blog followers.
- I want to learn how to draw to help with the worksheets and activities listed above.
- I hope to have a website to go along with this blog.
- I hope to have time to join the bigger community of Mommy Bloggers. There's so much we can learn from each other.
Most popular posts to date:
- Balloon Racers in the Park
- Toilet Paper Tube Sail Cars
- The Scientific Method
Thanks for sticking with me!! It's fun to have nerdy friends.
What has been the favorite thing that you learned from Nerdy Science this year?