Q: How can you get an egg to fit into a bottle with an opening smaller than the egg?
A: Science! Check it out!
- Open mouth bottle - large enough for an egg to squeeze through it, but small enough to seal the top with an egg. ***Please do not use a container that once held alcohol!***
- Matches (for adult use only)
- 1 peeled hard boiled egg*
- Light a match (or 3 in our case).
- Carefully place match(es) into bottle.
- Cover the top with a hard boiled egg.
- Watch and note what happens
- We used a 32 oz Gatorade bottle (note J's red juice mustache).
- We used rice as a "padding" for the fire since I was afraid that plastic burns.
- We didn't show it, but one match didn't heat up the bottle enough to do anything. 3 matches worked well.
- Video 1:
- We had so much fun, J wanted to do it again! Queue video 2:
- The fire from matches heats up the bottle, and having the egg on top of the bottle helps extinguish the fire.
- As the bottle cools, the air contracts, pulling the egg into the bottle.
- The trick then becomes seeing if you can get the egg back out. We cut it up to get it out and properly recycled the bottle.
- My favorite part of the experiment was the surprise when the egg got sucked in completely. POP!
*edited to add this note: hard boiled eggs peel better when they are a few days old (something I didn't know since I don't eat eggs).