- Balloon(s) (balloon pump optional)
- String (we used embroidery floss and plain old cheap yarn)
- Straw piece
- Scotch tape
- Tie string to something immovable (we used a toy ride-in car and a plastic mug filled with laundry quarters, not shown).
- Put straw piece on string.
- Hold other end, making the string as tight as possible - slack in the string doesn't give good results.
- Blow up balloon, twist and pinch the end.
- Attach balloon to straw with two pieces of Scotch tape.
- Count down and let go.
- Observe what happens!
- Slack the rope (giving the other end of the string to the kid to hold will most likely do this).
- Try different sized balloons, note the differences.
- Try different shaped balloons, note the differences.
- Try different sized straw pieces. Which size works the best?
- String the string across the room, above or out of the main walkway - or take down when not in use. The string is very tempting for a young child and can cause injuries if not careful.
**Please excuse the apartment mess. Our science workshop is in full gear.