Friday, August 12, 2011

Fantasy Friday: Shake Table!

New theme for Friday posts for August: Fantasy Friday. What are some of the things I would do with the $5k from Pepsi Refresh?

One of the things I am excited to bring to the kids: earthquakes!!  I think kids would really like creating structures and watching them fall apart on a shake table.  I would make a couple of shake tables since I'm sure one won't be enough for the eager, science loving kids.  Of course, the tables would be more permanent than the poster board, plastic, and hanger wire directions listed in the reference and enclosed so little fingers are protected.  I tried searching for good blue prints for sturdy smaller shake tables and came up empty handed (good thing my background is in mechanical engineering).

I'm thinking tall towers out of basic building blocks could get a good squeal out of the kids, or we can construct houses made out of Popsicle sticks the day before (so the glue dries).  A little competition for longest standing house/tower never hurt, and since it's engineering learning, of course they would be able to redesign and try again at least once.  I always learned better from my mistakes.

-----
edited 9/5/14 to remove Pepsi Refresh information since the contest is over


P.S. I love you guys. Thanks for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment